Get Smart, Eat More Fat!
You might be thinking… but fat will make me fat, and it’s bad for me. Well, surprise, that information has been debunked.
Public Enemy #1 is sugar, and it’s proven that researchers were paid to point a finger at fat as the more harmful macronutrient than sugar (read more here!).
Anything that breaks down into sugar molecules contains carbohydrates. It doesn’t matter if it is a whole grain, a poor quality flour, a baked good, or a fruit- it will cause fluctuations in your body’s energy production that can make you feel sluggish, foggy, and sleepy.
However, healthy fats, which we’ll cover in a moment, do not cause these fluctuations in energy production, especially when combined with lowering overall intake of carbs, and improving the quality of the carbs eaten.
Healthy fats to increase in your diet every day include:
- Nut butters without added sugars or poor quality oils, like soy or canola
- Seeds: sunflower, pumpkin, hemp, flax, chia are great examples
- Coconut products, and MCT oil, which can be added to some beverages like shakes, smoothies and coffee and tea
- Olive, avocado, grapeseed and coconut oils- as dressings, in dips, drizzled over vegetables
- Some dairy products, like unsweetened plain yogurt
- Avocados, blended into drinks or dressings, eaten in salads, or eaten plain with a pinch of salt
- Fish, and fish oil supplements
Healthy fats eaten with lower carbohydrates will not contribute to weight gain. The beneficial actions of healthy fats are:
- Replacement of the bad fats in your cell membranes, making your cells function better
- Increased and longer-lasting energy than carbs
- Reduce carb cravings, and keep you fuller for longer
- Reduction of inflammation
- Improvements in hormonal health
- Reduction of all cardiovascular disease issues, like cholesterol and blood pressure over time
- Overall healthier pregnancies and infants
- Reduced symptoms of depression, ADHD, and improve memory
Try adding more fat to your diet as you reduce unhealthy carbohydrates and sugar. The addition of fats first will actually make your journey to reducing carbs and sugar easier, help you function better, think more clearly, and maybe even trim your waistline a bit! Go nuts!
Learn more about my medical practices:
www.naturalmedicine.mb.ca– my clinic, for individuals who want to feel better and experience great healthcare.
www.smarthealthprogram.ca– for companies who want to work smarter, healthier and invest in their employees wellbeing for financial savings